Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Advent Day 14: Apple Cinnamon Ornaments

Today we made our traditional apple cinnamon ornaments and then decorated them. This was an all day activity with many steps that took lots of patience.



First we made the dough (1 cup apple sauce, 1/4 cup white school glue and lots of cinnamon until you get the consistency you like). Mix together and roll flat (I used my palm to flatten the dough) onto wax paper. Cut out shapes, poke top of ornament with straw to make a hole for hanging after cooking. Bake at 350 for approximately 40 minutes.


This picture was before baking. This part of the activity took all morning

And this picture was after baking and tying on the strings

Next the children added lots and lots of glue and stuck glitter gems, pompoms and buttons onto the ornaments. This part of the activity took a good 20 minutes. (Jada refused to get out of her P.J's today. Pick your battles right).



Let dry completely. DO NOT LET YOUR TODDLER TOUCH THEM IN THE DRYING PROCESS! I turned my back for a second and Jada broke a few snowmen in half.

What a great job!

Aren't they pretty? The last few years we made these we didn't decorate them. We just cut the shapes and hung them on the tree. I think the decorated way is my favorite
I think Jada did a great job. She did try to eat them a few times though lol


4 comments:

Beth @ Sand To Pearl said...

I loved making these in school, and I loved the way they smelled! Oh, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who's kid wears pj's during the day.

Andrea said...

Beth I wish I could smell them. I am so stuffed up with this cold:(
I have a feeling we are going to have a lot more p.j days in our future lol

na said...

I think if I turned my back, my toddler would try and EAT them!!!

They came our really well!

Thank you so much for linking up to Kids Get Crafty!

Maggy

JDaniel4's Mom said...

These look wonderful! Great job!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Hits Since October 13, 2010

Home Create account Login Styles Tutorial Policies FAQ Contact Advertise Free-Counter.com | Free Counter provides a reliable hit counter with real time web site statistics and customizable images.