Friday, February 25, 2011

Going Green!

I try to do my part to keep the earth a little greener. I recycle, reuse things as much as possible, donate toys and other household items to thrift stores, I also buy from thrift stores. The one area I a was lacking in was chemical cleaners. I HAVE to use bleach for toys and other child related cleaning due to the Child Care regulations here in Canada. However, for our household cleaning I wanted to try and cut back on those nasty chemical filled detergents.



So it's almost March and everyone is decorating in green for St.Patrick's day, I thought we could share some of our Green Earth friendly detergent recipes. And it will save you lots of green $$$$$$$$$$$. I was a bit skeptical at first but I tried it and it works! first I made my own dishwasher detergent using this recipe. You just need 4 ingredients that you probably already have in your cupboards. Vinegar, borax, salt and baking soda! that's it. You must watch the how to video I just love her accent!
This is the container I use to store my dishwasher detergent in. The scoop inside is from a baby formula can. I use 2 scoops of the powder for each load of dishes. I also add vinegar to my rinse instead of the expensive jet dry that I used to buy. The vinegar helps prevent your dishes from becoming cloudy.





(This Container came with Jelly Bellys inside)

The other recipe I want to share with you is the laundry detergent recipe from Here again super easy and cheap. We have a front load washing machine so it works out to about 2cents a load! can you believe that!?? I should get around 640 loads from this batch. Sorry I didn't take any pictures while I melted the soap for this batch. Trust me it's easy just follow the recipe and you will be fine.


My 5 gallon bucket that I make and store the detergent in. I just place the cover on and store it in the corner of my laundry room.




What it looks like after it sits overnight. (It becomes pretty jelly) stir and as the recipe states I fill an empty liquid laundry container half full, then add water to fill the container the rest of the way. Shake well before each use. I use 1/4 cup for each load as I have a front load washing machine. If you have a top loader you use 1/2 cup.

I have to tell you it smells so good!!!!! I changed up the recipe a bit and used 2 bars of ivory soap instead of the soap listed in the recipe. At first I was useing way too much detergent per load because I was so used to useing the store bought stuff. You will need to do a few loads before you get the right amount for your needs.
Here is the bottle I used.

Shake container and measure 1/4 cup for front loader. I used a bit more for Jada's soiled t-shirts.



You can't see the suds very well, especially in cold water and that is hard to get used to. I assure you that your clothes are getting cleaned. I smelled them when I took them out and they smell as clean as regular detergent. And more inportantly they are as clean as if you used store bought detergent.

To make the laundry detergent it cost me about $15.00 after taxes. And I still have plenty of ingredients left over to make many, many more batches of detergent! I don't think I will ever go back to buying the chemical filled store bought stuff. Now, if I could just find a way to make my own bounce sheets. If you have made any of these I would love it if you would share your experience with them and any recipes you would like to share:)

7 comments:

Beth @ Sand To Pearl said...

I LOVE the homemade laundry soap. We've been using that for over a year, even on cloth diapers, and everything comes out FANTASTICALLY. At Christmas my sister in law got a new washer and she couldn't use some of her detergents and so she sent them home with me... yeah, my kid's skin is obviously used to the homemade stuff, and they got these funny little rashes that went away when I changed back to our regular soap. And really, the cost is FANTASTIC! It takes maybe 15 minutes to make. And I'm SO glad yours gelled up too. My husband kept telling me I must have done something wrong.

Andrea said...

I know eh! You can't beat 2 cents a load. Does your detergent make soap suds in your washer??

Beth @ Sand To Pearl said...

Nope, mine has never really gotten suddsy in the wash. But everything has always come out clean.
Oh, and I almost forgot, we stopped using dryer sheets all together because they gunk up diapers, but we use the dryer balls. I have a friend right now trying the wool dryer balls, they are supposed to remove static, unlike the regular dryer balls. The only problem is that so many people are selling the junky ones that fall apart in the dryer. As soon as she has used them long enough to have a real feel for them she's going to let me know how well they work.

stacythemagnificentmommy said...

Ha, Beth! I just came across this post and was going to say something about the dryer balls ;0) they have held up well so far... I'm terrible at hang drying so they take a beating each week. Here's a link to the ones I got:
http://hyenacart.com/thewadingpool/st/1761/78884/UN-Scented-Color-free-dryer-balls-

I think I opted for large. They really do cut down on dry time and I might be crazy(yes I am) but they seem to reduce static, too. We haven't used dryer sheets for a long time bc of cloth dipes. Instead I used nothing or ecover liquid stuff as needed. The dryer balls work better than the ecover IMO.

Justine said...

Andrea- I've been wanting to leave a comment, but I have been having a hard time with my google account. I have wanted to make this laundry detergent, but I didn't know if it cleaned as well. You answered my question, though! I think I'm headed out to the store tomorrow to buy some borax!

Jessica said...

A friend makes the detergent a few times a year and sells to friends & family for $2 a gallon (I get mine free though because I gave her some of the ingredients) :) We all love it!

I definitely want to try the dish soap though!

I've seen online that you can soak an old towel in store-bought liquid fabric softener, then let it dry, and it works like a long-lasting dryer sheet... never tried it though.

The friend who makes the laundry soap for me switched to straight vinegar for her softener. Works, and your clothes don't smell vinegary!

But they also don't smell fabric-softener-fresh, which I miss. So my solution? I use a Downy Ball (because my cheap dryer doesn't have a spot for softener). I put in vinegar first, and fill about 3/4 to the 'fill' line. Then I top it off with a splash of store-bought softener, and my stuff is soft and smells fresh as can be!

I buy 1-2 bottles of softener a year, which you can hardly beat! Love it! :)

Justine said...

So..... I finally did it! I blogged about it over here, if you want to check it out!

http://whoishareitwith.blogspot.com/2011/07/justine-going-green-making-detergent.html

I can't wait to try it for the first time tomorrow!!!!!!!! (I know that's a whole lot of exclamation points, but that's how excited I am)! : )

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Hits Since October 13, 2010

Home Create account Login Styles Tutorial Policies FAQ Contact Advertise Free-Counter.com | Free Counter provides a reliable hit counter with real time web site statistics and customizable images.