Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Montessori Inspired Place Mat

"Me do it Mommy" a common sentence heard around here with Jada. She has been pulling things out of the refrigerator and even trying to pour her own milk from the heavy full carton. You can guess what that results in, a nice puddle of milk on my kitchen floor. So after weeks of similar things happening I thought I better listen to the not so subtle request of "Me do it Mommy". Seriously, where did my baby go? sniff, sniff.



In hopes of helping Jada gain more Independence I made this Montessori inspired place mat. We are also going to incorporate the small pitcher into our dinner routine for Jada to practice pouring her milk into a cup. I'm not sure why we haven't done this sooner?
I know I should be using a "real" cup but we aren't there just yet with cup skills. To tell you the truth I am more upset that I didn't make her a cloth napkin to match. It's on my to do list for this week. Luckily we can put our used paper napkins in our green bin.
Be warned I really butchered this project. I was going to sew it by hand but with this sore back I just wanted to get it finished quickly.

It's not pretty but it works. As soon as I find one I like on Etsy this one will do. So this is our new routine: First getting Jada used to seeing where the plates, cups, etc go for the week then the next week giving her the freedom of setting her own place at the table. We actually started this last night and it helped tremendously with Jada's attention to eating. We encouraged her to put her cup back to the correct spot instead of at her elbow like she always does. I am happy to report no spilled milk at dinner! yahhhhh!
When I set out to make one of these place mats I found some awesome blogs that have made their own and some printable ones like This one. One Hook Wonder has a pretty easy to make one. Anyway you can google Montessori place mats and pages and pages come up. It was a lot of fun reading through each list.
ETA: Here is a really cool way to make a Montessori Inspired place mat with Bleach

As always thanks for reading and I appreciate your comments:)
Linking up with:

Share photos on twitter with Twitpic/>










5 comments:

emily @morefromthemoorefamily said...

That is awesome! I want one... wish my sewing machine worked!! ;)

RedTedArt said...

Oh the place mat is really cute! What a fun idea (and I have seen that "Bald head" plate for "playing with food" - would you recommend it? It looks such fun!)

Thanks for linking up to Kids Get Crafty!!

Maggy

Beth @ Sand To Pearl said...

It's really not that bad. You should see some of my appliques. I recently found the heat-n-bond, but before that I never used it, and yeah, it looked REALLY horrible, this looks a million times nicer. This is actually on my to-do list because my 5 yr old still has trouble remembering to put her cup back.

Andrea said...

Hmmm maybe if I used red thread it wouldn't look so bad? I'm still on the hunt for one on Etsy but they only ship to the U.S. from what I have found so far. Heat & bond eh? I will look for it next time I am out and about.
@ Red TedArt the plate is awesome! It has become part of our daily routine now. Just wish hubby and I had one :)

Jill said...

Thank-you so much for visiting my blog! It's so nice to "meet" another Canadian blogger. I'm now happily following back. You have some wonderful ideas.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Hits Since October 13, 2010

Home Create account Login Styles Tutorial Policies FAQ Contact Advertise Free-Counter.com | Free Counter provides a reliable hit counter with real time web site statistics and customizable images.