Friday, April 29, 2011

Making Bread In A Bag


Nothing like soft warm bread on a rainy day. Or should I say week! It's been raining here on the East coast for almost a week!
I have had the recipe for bag bread for many years and have no idea where I got it but it's a gem. A very yummy science experiment. I will try to walk you through this recipe as best as I can.

First you will need the following:
A pan
2 pkg of fast rising yeast
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 c warm water
4 tsp vegetable oil
3 C Flour
1 1/2 tsp Salt

1. In a gallon sized Freezer bag place 1 1/2 c flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Close bag tight and ask you child to work the bag with their fingers to mix the ingredients.


2. Add the oil and water to the ingredients in the bag. Reseal and demonstrate to your child how to mix the ingredients. Gradually add the remaining flour, until mixture forms a stiff ball.


3. Grease your hands with solid vegetable oil and remove dough from bag and knead on a floured surface. (I did this part as I had 6 kids doing this activity with me. It can get very messy!)

Knead for about 5 minutes until small air pockets begin to form under the surface of the dough. when they appear allow your child to observe them.


4. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes. Grease a bread pan, divide dough into two equal pieces and place in pan.


5. Cover with clean cloth and let rise for 1 hour. In the mean time ask your child what she thinks will happen to the dough. Read a children's book about baking bread. We read the little red hen




I don't think I need to do a book review as I'm sure we have all read this book at one time or another. I will say that this book was an excellent choice for this activity:)


6. Show your child what happened to the dough once it has risen. Ask your child questions about how the dough got bigger etc


7. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degree F for 25 to 30 minutes







As soon as you take the bread out of the oven butter the tops of your loaves with paper towel. This helps your bread stay soft







Let cool for 20 minutes. In the mean time you can set up a self serve snack station













And Bon Appetit!







We toasted some too. There is a reason we don't do this activity too often, my waist line doesn't need it!






Please see my side bar for all the wonderful blogs I link up to:)






16 comments:

Amanda said...

How old is your daughter? Just wondering because I see a lot of awesome teaching ideas, but am wondering if it's too advanced for my 19 month old.

Andrea said...

Hi Amanda,
Jada is 2.5 years old. I think a 19 month old could easily do many of our acticities. It's all about adapting the activity/ lesson to your child:)
thanks for visiting!

The Iowa Farmer's Wife said...

This is great! I think my 2 year old would love it!!!!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

Thanks for linking to Read.Explore.Learn. The bread looks wonderful. I love the idea of mixing in a bag.

RedTedArt said...

Oh my! This is brilliant! What an excellent way to knead dough with kids!!

Do come and link this to Kids Get Crafty too! (http://www.redtedart.com/2011/04/27/kids-get-crafty-sand-art-crafts/ )

Hope to see you there!

Maggy

RedTedArt said...

Thank you :-) have tweeted it for you too!

Maggy

katepickle said...

What a great no mess way to make bread with little people! thanks for sharing such a fab idea!

Michelle said...

This is such a wonderful sensory activity! And clean! ;)

Thanks for linking this at last week's High paw! Love it!

RedTedArt said...

I used your wonderful idea on my blog today: http://www.redtedart.com/2011/05/18/book-cook-how-to-make-easy-soda-bread-no-yeast/ (Have of course linked to you!!!)

Thank you for the inspiration an for linking up a few weeks back!

Maggy

Michelle said...

This looks like so much fun!! Oh and I just came across this book at a garage sale this week!!!!!

Phyllis said...

Kitchen chemistry is the best, isn't it? Yummiest at least! :)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Have you read Sun Bread? It's a great book to go with rainy day bread making, too.

Our Side of the Mountain said...

How fun! Jada looks like she had a blast with this! Try pretzels next! We make most of our breads at home (with the help of a bread machine). My kids love making their own soft pretzels in different shapes and dipping them in tomato sauce. Fun activities on your sidebar! Stopping by from Science Sunday!

Jessy

Our Side of the Mountain said...

Wow! LOVE your sensory bins too! My 6-year-old's OT suggested I make some for him to help with his tactile sensitivities (and because he enjoyed the ones at the center). I might borrow some of your ideas!

Jessy (again LOL)

Our Country Road said...

What a fun idea!! I love that it has minimal mess, too. Thanks for sharing!

Ticia said...

Oh yummy! Thanks for linking this up, because I LOVE bread! I might even successfully make this one.....

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Hits Since October 13, 2010

Home Create account Login Styles Tutorial Policies FAQ Contact Advertise Free-Counter.com | Free Counter provides a reliable hit counter with real time web site statistics and customizable images.