Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Science ~Making Butter~

Making butter has been on my to do list with the children but I kept putting it off. Mostly because I wanted to wait until Jada was more trustworthy with glass jars. After completing the activity I highly recommend you use a plastic container as we cracked a jar even though we were all super careful not to drop it. My guess is that the marble cracked the glass?
To make butter you will need:
Heavy cream (we used whipping cream), pinch of salt, clean marble and a glass or plastic container. Pour your cream and salt into the container and drop in the marble. Then screw the lid on tight. Pass the container around the group of children and ask them to shake it.


After about 15 minutes you won't hear the marble rattling and this is how you know the butter is ready. There Will be some milk at the top and the butter at the bottom. Because we used whipping cream we just had butter when we took the lid off. If you go the heavy cream route drain off the butter milk and you should be left with yummy butter. Refrigerate for a few hours then spread onto crackers or warm bread. Will keep in refrigerator for 1 week

What ours looked like once the lid was removed




taste testing



seal of approval!







It's a little known fact that Jada is addicted to butter. We have found little finger prints in our butter dish and have caught Jada spooning gobs of butter and eating it right off the spoon yuck!!!! So this was the perfect activity for her:)


I used to make individual ones for my daycare group years ago by giving each child a baby food jar half full of the whipping cream. the children loved taking their's home to share with their family. I will definately have to do that next time. We just didn't have enough jars this time around.

The Snack Table Activity tray:
The butter tasted just like whipped butter minus the salt. We didn't add salt to the recipe as I try not to use salt as much as possible.
Working hard




I think the tongue is a dead giveaway that it was really yummy:)




Please see my sidebar for all the great blogs I link up to:)



<-------


18 comments:

Justine said...

This looks like so much fun! I have never heard of this, and now I can't wait to do this! Thanks for the idea!

Le Chateau des fleurs said...

Oh this is so cool!!

Justine said...

I have given you an award on my blog:

http://youllthankmeoneday.blogspot.com/2011/05/my-first-award.html

Heather said...

Mmm, I love homemade butter! Looks like your little one does too!

Messy Kids said...

One of the teachers I worked with loved doing this activity every year. I need to try it with my kids at home! Thanks for sharing on It's Playtime!

Rachele @ Messy Kids

CookiesKids.com said...

Love!

I remember doing this in school, and it's something I've definitely got to try again.

(I didn't realize it was so simple to do - all you've gotta do is shake. ;-) )

Julie said...

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun! Good to know about using a plastic container. Making Butter has been on our to-do list for awhile. We really need to get to it!

Messy Kids said...

This was such a great post that I've shared it on my weekly Do Something! Hope you will stop by and check it out.

RS said...

Looks like you all had lot of fun:) Great Post...

Heather @ localfunforkids said...

My kids would love this. When I let them butter their own bread, I always joke with them that they are having a little bread with their butter.

Our Side of the Mountain said...

Love the last photo with the tongue! Good stuff! I haven't made butter in a while...but we have some cream in the frig RIGHT now! Stopping by from Science Sunday!

Jessy

katepickle said...

I've always wanted to try butter making but never have! I'm pinning this so I can remember to try it with my kids soon!

SarahElisabeth said...

I've thought about making butter before especially when we read the "Little house" series but didn't realise that it was so do-able. Thank you.

Babblin' Brooke said...

Andrea, I did a post about homemade butter last month and I wanted to let you know just one thing. Please don't take this wrong, you are really really close to butter there but actually, even after the marble stops moving, if you keep shaking you'll completely separate the butter and all the liquid. What you've got there is heavily whipped cream. It's SOOOO close. I made mine like that the first time we made it but discovered if you keep going you'll get a true butter. And the liquid is buttermilk! We always make pancakes with it. Just thought I'd let you know in case you wanted to shake it just a pinch longer next time.

Here's the link in case you'd like to see what I mean. Again, please don't take this wrong. I just wanted to let you know... I tried to find an email address but couldn't find one.

http://babblin-brooke.com/2011/07/19/homemade-butter/

Andrea said...

@BB thanks for the comment and letting me know. I have made this many times and this was the first time the milk didn't seperate. It was just as yummy, so we were happy with the result:)

Cowie Kaunweigh said...

I am so trying this !!!

Angie said...

I never knew you could make homemade butter so easily! I can't wait to try this. I bet it tastes amazing!!

Ali @craftyWImama said...

I remember making butter in grade school when learning about settlers in Wisconsin!

But I never thought of how perfect of an activity it would be for my 3 year old. He loves to eat, and he loves to move, LOL!

I think I'll save the butter milk too for making pancakes or biscuits.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Hits Since October 13, 2010

Home Create account Login Styles Tutorial Policies FAQ Contact Advertise Free-Counter.com | Free Counter provides a reliable hit counter with real time web site statistics and customizable images.