Friday, July 15, 2011

DIY Dryer Sheets

So after using my homemade laundry detergent for a few months I noticed that the fresh smell in my towels and clothes just wasn't lasting. I set out to find a way to make my own dryer sheets that I hoped would help with keeping that fresh smell to my laundry.
I googled and googled and googled until I got fed up and decided to use some of the ideas I found but make my own recipe.



First I cut some Flannel I had left over from making Jada's Rag Quilt. I made it 4 layers thick and sewed all around the edges. I just cut mine with pinking scissors so I didn't have to bind my ends. Then I mixed about 4 tbsp of my favorite fabric softener with 4 tbsp of water in a plastic container.

I mixed it well then put my flannel in to soak up the fabric softener mixture. I did not ring it out at all, I just took the container outside with me to hang up the flannel on the clothesline.


I let it naturally drip and dry for a few hours outside. I was lucky it was a windy and sunny day.





So there you have it, homemade dryer sheets that cost Penny's to make. Add one homemade dryer sheet to your dryer for up to 10 loads! Now that's savings! Better yet it solved my freshness issue with the homemade laundry detergent however did not solve the chemical issue:( I will still work on this. I found some lavender ones on Etsy but I'm not a lavender fan.


You can view my other homemade detergent tutorials HERE

Please See my sidebar for all the fantastic Blogs I link up To:)




3 comments:

Justine said...

I just responded to this on my blog! I think I will have to give this a try. I am having the same issue with my homemade laundry detergent. I like the fresh smell of the softener/ detergent.

Michelle said...

PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT!!

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

Hi Andrea! Thank you so much for visiting me! I am staying at my parents house in Port Williams, which is just outside of Wolfville and 20 minutes away from Windsor. I love it here and have been in vacation mode....eating and relaxing! LOL! Kudos to you for making your own laundry detergent. I stopped using fabric softeners about 15 years ago when my daughter was born and I read about all the harmful chemicals used in fabric softeners and dryer sheets. I don't use anything in the dryer at all and I tell my family that no smell is the best smell because then you know that it's not full of manufactured chemicals. We don't use dryer sheets, air sprays, or air fresheners of any kind. I think my family is used to it now! Have a wonderful week! Angie xo

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Hits Since October 13, 2010

Home Create account Login Styles Tutorial Policies FAQ Contact Advertise Free-Counter.com | Free Counter provides a reliable hit counter with real time web site statistics and customizable images.